Situated on the edge of Westport Lake, a great spot for bird-watching and walking, the Westport Lake Visitor Centre boasts a welcoming cafe with panoramic views of the water. It is the perfect place to visit for families, walkers and nature lovers.
- Our friendly cafe offers a wide range of hot and cold snacks and drinks, which can be enjoyed inside or outside on the lakeside balcony
- The lake and surrounding grounds, which are looked after by Stoke-on-Trent City Council, are ideal for a stroll. There is a good, level footpath of around one mile around the lake, and a health walk around the conservation area
- There is a regular programme of family activities at the visitor centre during the school holidays. See the What's On page for details.
- Look out for wildlife - Westport Lake is an important overwintering site for many water birds and unusual species are known to stop-off at the lake during migration. The conservation area at the northern end of the site is home to many animals including kingfishers and dragonflies
- There is a children's play area by the visitor centre, which is managed by Stoke-on-Trent City Council
Winter opening hours
Monday to Friday 10am-5pm
Saturday & Sunday 10am-5pm
There are toilets in the visitor centre. There is an accessible toilet and baby changing facilities can be used from a seated position.
Other facilities and services
Conference facilities: There is a room available for hire at the Westport Lake Visitor Centre for meetings, conferences and other functions. Find out more.
Birthday Parties: Fancy a birthday party with a wild twist? You can celebrate your special day at the Westport Lake Visitor Centre and take part in a host of exciting outdoor activities, such as a pirate treasure hunt or teddy bear's picnic. Find out more.
Educational programmes: There is an education team based at the Westport Lake Visitior Centre who run an engaging environmental education programme for schools in a well-equipped classroom and the surrounding grounds. Read more.
Tel: 01782 826985
There is a free car park next to the visitor centre.
Postcode: ST6 4RZ
By car: The main car park is off Westport Lake Road, Longport, Stoke-on-Trent. Leave the A500 at the Longport, Tunstall slip road (A5271). At the mini roundabout take first exit for Davenport Street, turn left into Westport Lake Road. It is also served by the Westport Greenway and the Trent & Mersey Canal.
By bus: Westport Lake Visitor Centre is a short walk from the bus stops on the A527. The 94/94A and 99/99A both stop every 30 minutes.
By rail: Westport Lake is served by Stoke station, just 5 miles away, while Longport Rail is just 1 mile from the Centre.
By bicycle: We encourage visitors to use environmentally friendly forms of transport wherever possible. Westport Lake Visitor Centre is easily accessible by bicycle, being adjacent to National Route 5. Please visit the National Cycle Network website to plan your route: www.sustrans.org.uk